You ever have that experience where you hear a song for the very first time, and fall in love with it? I LOVE THAT!! The other morning I was driving into work and heard the DJ introduce this song. I heard the first few notes..and I was hooked!! It's a Samoan song (if you couldn't tell by the heading), and it's sooo pretty! There is a section in the song where they sing in English and the lyrics go something like...
"To all my brother's and sister's who are away from home, who never make it to our shores..you will always be a Samoan. Skin on you doesn't matter or the languages that you speak, you'll always be Samoan. Even though you're far away...they will know who you are. By the way that you live day by day..your name will be heard afar. When you're feeling down and you're lonely you better pack your bags and go, come back home. Samoa E, let us come together. No matter where you are Samoa will always be your home forever."
I LOVE IT! I wish I could post it on here for you guys to listen to. I like this song so much because it's so pretty and because I can relate!! We moved away from Samoa 15 almost 16 years ago (I was 13). Living in Arizona, a place where people from all over migrate to...people are always asking "Where are you from?" All of the 15 years that I lived in AZ, I'd say I was from Samoa. Then they'd ask "How long have you lived here"? A few times when I responded "10 years" (or anything more than 5 years)...they'd say something like...you're not from Samoa, you're from here. HA! While I admit that AZ grew on me (my whole entire immediate family is there along with many loved ones), Samoa has ALWAYS been home. And even though I have my days where I'd rather be back in AZ eating at Texas Roadhouse or Olive Garden or window shopping at the mall...I am grateful to be here!! This is where I gained my sense of identity when I was a little girl...and I see that happening in my children now. How can I NOT be grateful for that??
Anyway, like the song says "To all my brothers and sisters who are away from home...COME BACK HOME"!!!
1 comment:
Those lyrics are beautiful! I would love to hear it, if you figure out how I could do that you just let me know :) Love ya!
Post a Comment