Wednesday, June 10, 2009
MY TRIP TO AZ...
Alright, so it's been a while since I've TRULY indulged myself on my own blog, as well as other's. So here I go....last month Fasi and I allowed myself to splurge on a round trip ticket to AZ. Originally the plan was that I'd go up in October, but being that we are now with child and due in the Fall I dipped out earlier:) My oh so handsome, oldest nephew was graduating from my Alma Mater and so I chose that time for my first ever no-hubby, no-children adventure. As the days at work got longer and more draining, and more random personal drama erupted I gleefully started counting down the days til my departure. Except when the countdown for take off came exactly to down 7 days, when all of a sudden I started going into anxious and panic mode. Coincidentally "The Worst Airplane Crashes" was playing on my living room television set, I was waking up in cold sweats and crying in the middle of the nights from THE worst nightmares about losing my family members, I was totally second guessing my decision and started writing little "just in case....." notes and briefing Fasi on where to find all the kid's birth certificates and other important documents JUST IN CASE. Thankfully, I was traveling with my Dad and as I came to find out more relatives and people I knew were on the same flight...I KIND OF settled down a bit. As soon as I took my seat on the plane, I started bawling!! The reality had settled in that I was hubbyless and childless for the next 10 days...YIKES! I took out the letters my kids wrote for me and read them one by one (the plane hadn't even moved an inch yet, as passengers were still boarding) TOTALLY missing my babies at home. I cried a lot throughout the flight pleading with Heavenly Father to let me return safely to them and keep them safe while I was away. My Dad was seated at the very front of the airplane, and I in the VERY back. When they announced that we were getting ready to land in Hawaii I immediately felt a rush of "THANK GOODNESS, ONE FLIGHT DOWN AND ONE MORE TO GO", when all of a sudden a voice came over the intercom paging for a Dr. or medical assistant to the front of the aircraft. There was a sick patient in transit on the flight with us, luckily there was a nurse (Christine Peters in my ward) escorting her to Hawaii...she was rushed to the passenger in front. A few minutes later we hear that the passenger had a heart attack right as we were landing. I started to worry that it might have been my Dad and so I got up to take a peek at where the commotion was taking place. When I saw that it was exactly where my Dad was seated I paged a flight attendant to ask her to please describe the passenger to me. She verified that it was a woman, and whew.....relief that it wasn't my Dad after all settled in. The woman was seated just 2 rows in front of my Dad. Thankfully, there were medical attendants waiting to assist her as soon as the plane came to a stop. Dad and I spent the next 9-10 hours sleeping and snacking in the Hawaiian Air Premier Club Lounge, waiting to board our next flight to AZ. That flight turned out ok. I was just SO grateful when we finally touched down in PHX. I was laughing when Myca and Vaga greeted us and wasted no time in telling us we "smell like Samoa"...LOL (whatever that means). During the car ride home Dad and I got little briefs on each of the grand kids there, eager to see their "Papa". Tracy and Fou were up when we got to the house (our flight arrived into PHX just after midnite). I LOVED seeing her pregnant!! She looked so cute and for once, I could be the one to rub someone else's pregnant belly. I immediately got on the phone and called home to see if my babies were missing me yet. Pshhh...no such luck, LOL! They were all doing just fine. Not one had asked or cried for Mommy yet. I mean it was a GREAT thing that they weren't crying and asking for me because that would've made me feel REALLY guilty about leaving, but gosh no one missed me even just a teensy weensy bit??? So after the first 4 phone calls home of asking if any of my babies missed me, and all 4 times the answer was "No"....I was able to relax and actually appreciate my time away from my tribe. My 10 days in AZ were filled with catching up with family and wonderful friends I miss like CRAZY, eating out at places I TOTALLY miss, shopping with Tasi and/or Myca and her friends, hoping for Tracy to go into labor (that didn't happen until a few days after I left), watching Tra and Fou compete at Spider Solitaire from 11 p.m. til like 3 in the a.m. (almost every night), 4-5 phone calls a day to Fasi and the kids, Tauvaga's graduation and preparations for the party, the "Laughing Samoans" show, learning and getting addicted to Facebook, laughing with my 16 year old niecey Myca about "putting new glow in the dark stars up on her ceiling", 2 a.m. trips to Wal-Mart (just because you can, I MISS WALLY), more shopping and more eating. I didn't sleep much because I was still on Samoa time (4 hours behind AZ time) and I couldn't really get comfortable anywhere. All in all 10 days was probably just a couple days too many for me to be away ( I REALLLLLY MISSED MY BABIES)...but I'm SO VERY GRATEFUL for that break. My heart definitely grew fonder of Fasi and each of my kids while I was away:) I HEART THEM SO MUCH:) The pix below are all out of order, but after almost 9 attempts at uploading them and the comp freezing on me....they will just have to do. There are a ton of others I wanted to post...but maybe another time!
My last evening in AZ, my girlfriend's took me out for dinner. COSTA VIDA BABY:) Here's Nita and I cheesin away!
Myself and Steph standing in back..Ihi in the front on the left, Kalia in the green and Nanz on the right...MISS YOU GIRLS!
On Memorial Day, Anita invited me over for a lil' BBQ with her and the kiddies and her parents. Here is Anita and Mailelagi...
While a bunch of the fam was sitting around visiting, I saw Bennion scoot up next to his little sister, Christine, and give her a hug and little kiss on the cheek. SO CUTE!!!!!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Tafi,
I love reading your blog - mostly, because it keeps me updated with the happenings back home and boy do I miss home ! As soon as my kids are grown I am so back there .. lol !! Anyways, congrats on the pregnancy and don't worry LBJ is really not that bad when it comes to having babies - I had ALL my 5 there and they are fine !!
Love to all .... Leone
Hey lady,
I am glad you were able to come back to AZ and it looks like you were a busy bee too. I was bummed that I wasn't able to see you when you came. My sisters said they were barely able to catch you while you were there. They were thrilled to see ya anyways. Thank you for the lava lava from my Dad's High School in Samoa. It really means a lot to me. I love reading your blog and seeing all your kids and the current events with the family. Take care and thanks again. Ala
Post a Comment